Monday, November 14, 2011

Is cashforiphones.com a Scam? (Part 1)

Sellers Beware!
Okay, before I start clearing up the issues regarding cashforiphones.com, let me give you examples of comments posted on a thread about its mother site, cashforlaptops.com.

The comment was posted by a user named Tommy:
Cashforlaptops.com is a scam. I sent in a Presario -- told them it will not power on, but other than that looks great. They quoted me $170. Then they sent me an email saying the laptop had a bad battery. They sent me $150, no explanation of why they deducted the money.”

Here is a response to this comment that was posted by another user named John Fairheart:
“That is not a scam. You were given money for a dead Laptop. So they were shy by $20 on their 'quote'. A quote is not a contract; it is a 'best guess' at what they may pay.”
Why did I give these comments for examples? Well, it’s because the same “scam issue” was brought up for cashforiphones.com.

I have been using cashforiphones.com since my first iPhone that was an iPhone 2G. I sold it to the site to be able to buy the iPhone 3GS using my savings and the money I got from their paycheck.

Just like what happened to Tommy, the guy who posted the first comment above, I was quoted a price but was paid $20 shy from what they offered me. Of course, I too, got angry and frustrated.

I called them and demanded an explanation why this had had to happen and why did they not inform me about it. The customer service representative told me that there had been problems with my phone that were comprised of minor scratches on the screen and lagging apps.

I came back to my senses when they told me that my iPhone was in good shape but the battery was also worn out. They apologized that they failed to notify me about the price adjustment so I conceded. That time, I realized that the cash value was actually good enough for my iPhone 2G’s worth.

Even if I experienced that kind of service from them, I decided to entrust yet another iPhone which was my iPhone 3GS. Before iPhone 4S was released, I decided to send them my 3GS so I could buy the next generation iPhone.

This time, I’d seen some good changes with the company. When they found that my phone had several glitches in the software, they notified me by email for a price negotiation. They soon called me to discuss the adjustment they could make about the price.

I was offered around $149 but they said that they were only paying me $125 because my phone was jailbroken and there were several phone functions that were not working. Actually, I felt quite guilty about it since I didn’t mention the matter during the online transaction.

So, I told them that I would still go on with the deal even if I was to be paid $24 shy of what was quoted me.
Now, I have my iPhone 4S and I’m really happy to experience Siri.



1 comment:

  1. I will say that I believe that the quote process is just to get you to send them the phone. I used the service for an iphone 4 which i dropped and the screen broke. I listed it as having a broken screen and was quoted $200 (which seemed too good to be true). But since the phone was not useable really, unless you wanted to use a cracked screen I figured trying to get something rather then throwing it out was worth the risk. I then got 10 emails on consecutive days saying that they had inspected my phone and would be in contact soon. They don't monitor or return emails, and finally I called the 800 number. I finally got a hold of someone and they advised they would only be able to give me $80 because it had a cracked screen. I didn't argue because $80 was better then nothing, but it does make me question how they came up with a $200 quote when I was honest in the quote process and indicated the screen was cracked.

    ReplyDelete